Author Topic: Feedback  (Read 730 times)

acrm

• PUGBOT User
    • View Profile
    • Email
Feedback
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:14:12 pm »
Hello,

I have been using your competitive client on European public servers and the US CTF East server.

After install I had to remake my config -- I set the sacc variables and started playing.

My first observation was that my FPS tended to dive where they had been constant at 125 before, and there was a lot of FPS lag in general.
After some investigation I realized that the default hunkmegs, soundmegs and zonemegs values for the regular sacc client are the default values from the original urban terror client -- 256, 8, and 24. Horrible!

My solution of doubling all the values worked well and soon I was playing with no more FPS lag than normal.
I would advise anyone else who is having FPS problems with the new client to check these values in their config. The cvars are com_hunkmegs com_soundmegs and com_zonemegs

Now, as for hits. I have noticed an all around improvement in my hits. With the SR8 I have been shooting between 50 and 75%, with the G36 my accuracy has been steady between 25 and 32.6 (!)%. I notice, especially when sniping, that my shots feel as if they are hitting *right away*, something I believe TheSpaceDude mentioned in the ftwgl.com thread. Bullets from my auto also seem to hit much more consistently.

As for players playing against me they have reported a bit of warping/lag that makes me difficult to hit, but anyone who can aim and strafe well is always called 'difficult to hit' so this is not a good objective measurement of how the sacc client appears to non-sacc players. Research should be done into this matter as it may arise in the next season of league play if there is not a mandatory upgrade to the sacc client.

Finally, I have not had the chance to test the sacc client against other players using the sacc client. I would be curious to know if the all-around hit improvement is still noticeable when everyone has the same client; to know how all the people I'm killing so quickly feel; and to see how a full server responds to 16 * 50,000Kbps (800,000Kbps) and 16 * 125 (2000) max packets.

Cheers,
acrm

slackin

• PUGBOT CREATOR
  • Head Admins
  • PUGBOT User
    • MSN Messenger - slackin@live.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - slackin35
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - slackin35
    • View Profile
    • PUGBOT Homepage
    • Email
Re: Feedback
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:24:38 pm »
Thanks for the great feedback! I completely over looked those values you mentioned(related to memory) also, these builds are all msvs builds, I hear than mingw produces much better binaries.

NOTE: It doesn't use the full bandwidth of the rate just cause it can, it only allows the extra bandwidth if needed. Also almost every other q3 based game in the world, including UrTHD allows maxpackets 125, only FS locks it to such a silly low level of 42(in 4.x, no UrTHD).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:04:19 pm by slackin »

acrm

• PUGBOT User
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 06:47:52 am »
Slackin, thank you for your reply. I have a few questions:

(a) Is there a way of measuring the actual rate used by the client? I would be interested in seeing a chart in order to understand how often the client actually uses more than 20,000 rate. Also, what is this 'rate' measured in? Kbps? kbps?

(b) Concerning maxpackets, how does this correspond to the frames per second (FPS) of the client on the one hand, and to the server snaps on the other? Also, why does maxpackets work even though it is only clientside? What is the corresponding server side variable and how does it work?

(b.2) Is there a way to effectively demonstrate (perhaps by means of a youtube video) the advantages of higher maxpackets? For example, if we imagine that 1 packet = 1 client frame, we could make a direction comparison between frame-dropping (i.e. setting maxfps to a low value) and capping maxpackets. This would make for a nice tutorial and a nice explanation of what actually happens when the maxpackets variable is increased (in this case three-fold).

(c) Have you run tests with sacc client versus non-sacc client? I imagine that the sacc client has a significant advantage because of its higher rate of exchange with the server. In this case I cannot imagine that most server admins would be interested in having both clients running on their server. I would suggest that you advertise the sacc client on every clan, league, and general UrT website you can find, worldwide; or, as a much more difficult solution you must find some way to limit distribution of the client. In either case I think you have a responsibility to inform server admins of the client's existence and fully explain the way the client works.

(c.2) Of course you can avoid this explanation but as my own experiments have revealed there will be a schism between players who think, 'It is ok to use a freely available client that modifies certain cvars,' and players who think, 'Any modification of client cvars for any reason is a hack.' Some of these players may be server administrators. Tread lightly and exercise some discretion.

(d) I agree with don's suggestion , and furthermore I think that you or someone with whom you have explained the inner-workings of the client and its cvars, should create a short, easily understandable FAQ including installation instructions. This would help with (c) and (c.2). If you can answer all my questions and explain your client to me I will volunteer to undertake writing the FAQ myself.

slackin

• PUGBOT CREATOR
  • Head Admins
  • PUGBOT User
    • View Profile
    • PUGBOT Homepage
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 09:31:21 am »
a: Yes it is measurable, I'll run some tests when I get home.

b: Its optimal to have maxpackets and maxfps set to the same setting. As for maxpackets, anything that is a cl_ CVAR is strictly client side, and is un-effected by the server.

c: I have posted it on every League forum I can find, and tried to inform League admins of what it does, how it does it, and how to detect it. (yes it is detectable server side)

c.1: Eh, idk what to say about that. Servers could run a bot to filter out sacc(or vis versa and filter out non-sacc)

d: Personally I think I will raise those values a tad bit, because sacc wouldn't be very beneficial to someone running such an old PC in the first place. (as they probably do not get 125FPS)

don

• PUGBOT User
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 01:19:06 pm »
Installation instructions: right click, save as, find your UrT folder. You're done.

slackin

• PUGBOT CREATOR
  • Head Admins
  • PUGBOT User
    • View Profile
    • PUGBOT Homepage
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 02:43:42 pm »
Installation instructions: right click, save as, find your UrT folder. You're done.

not quiet, they are self extracting 7z to save bandwidth n space, turn 1.8mb exe into 438kb exe, so download, run, find urt folder, done

don

• PUGBOT User
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 05:25:03 pm »
Yeah god this community's so big, might save a few hundred MB a year lol.